A. Distribution of Keys
Master facility keys for all buildings will be distributed by the Director of Buildings and Grounds. Only those staff members who are responsible for the operation of a particular space shall receive a key. Each of those staff members are responsible for limiting further distribution only to those persons who have established a definite need for keys in order to fulfill their assignments.
In general, staff members shall be provided only the key to the space(s) they use and to other areas in which they have a legitimate responsibility. The Director of Buildings and Grounds will maintain a file of master keys. Any unauthorized person found to have a master key or a duplicate in his/her possession shall be held in violation of this guideline.
In order to be properly protected against theft:
1. staff members are expected to obtain room, desk, and closet keys from the school office at the beginning of the school term;
2. no money or valuables are to be left in the room;
3. at no time shall students be given keys for their use;
4. staff members must keep possession of their keys;
5. staff members should secure valuables at all times;
6. classroom doors should be kept locked when the classroom is empty;
7. prior to leaving school each day, staff members must close windows and lock doors to their rooms;
8. staff members are responsible for the equipment and supplies in their classrooms or offices. Should any items "disappear", the principal or the department supervisor must be notified immediately.