Administrative Guideline - 4111 Admission to the Corporation

REVISED 11/08/2016

Students who qualify for admission to Corporation schools, in accordance with Board Policy 5111, shall be accepted when the following documents have been submitted.

A.      a birth certificate or other appropriate documentary evidence

B.      court orders or placement papers, if applicable

C.      Two pieces of documentary evidence showing proof of residency in the Carmel Clay Schools boundaries consisting of:

1.      a rental agreement, purchase agreement, closing documents, deed, current homeowners insurance policy, or a Current Parcel Ownership Report available at the Hamilton County Government Web Site. 

2.      and a current utility (electric and/or gas) statement.  


All documentation is subject to verification.


If a birth certificate is not available, the parent is to submit documentary evidence proving birth of the student. If custody has been established by the courts, a copy of the court order must be submitted. If such verification is not received within thirty (30) days or the document appears to be inaccurate or fraudulent, the district shall notify the Indiana Clearinghouse for Information on Missing Children.

The sending school shall be contacted within 14 school days of the student's enrollment into the school and requested to send all appropriate records.

If the sending school indicates no record of the student’s attendance, the district shall immediately notify the Indiana Clearinghouse for Information on Missing Children.

Immunization requirements are to be in accordance with 
Carmel Clay Schools Policy - 5320 Immunization.

High school students transferring from another school corporation must submit an official transcript from the sending school in order for the student to receive credit for course work. Report cards will not be considered sufficient evidence for granting credit toward graduation.

A student shall be considered homeless under Federal law (42 USC 11431 et seq.) if s/he is an individual who:

A.      lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence;

B.      has a primary nighttime residence that is:

     1. a supervised publicly or privately operated shelter designed to provide temporary living accommodations (including welfare hotels, congregate shelters, or transitional housing for the mentally ill;

     2. an institution that provides temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized;

     3. a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.



 If the student lives with parents and is under eighteen (18) or over eighteen (18) but not emancipated, the legal settlement is the School Corporation where the student's parents reside as defined in I.C. 20-8.1-6.1-1(b).   


If the student lives separately from parents and is over eighteen (18) or under eighteen (18) but emancipated, then the legal settlement is the student's address.


If the student lives with a divorced or separated parent, the legal settlement is the address of the custodial parent unless the custodial and noncustodial parent have completed the form from the Department of Education which allows the student to attend school in the Corporation in which the noncustodial parent has legal settlement. (See I.C. 20-8.1-6.1-2(c))   


 If the student lives with a person because the parents are residing outside the United States due to educational or business pursuits and maintain no permanent home in the United States and have officially placed the student in the home of the person, the legal settlement is the address of the person with whom the student lives.

If legal settlement cannot be determined by using any of the above criteria and the student is being supported by, cared for by, and living with another person, the student's legal settlement is the address of the person with whom the student lives, except where the parent is able to support the child but has placed him/her with the other person primarily for the purpose of attending school in this Corporation.

If the legal settlement is in dispute, the person with whom the student lives must be appointed the student's legal guardian before s/he will be accepted for enrollment in this Corporation. If the assignment of legal guardianship is solely for the purpose of making it possible for the student to go to school in this Corporation, the student's legal settlement will still be considered to be outside this Corporation.

If there is a dispute concerning residency or legal guardianship, the student will be enrolled pending settlement of the dispute.


REVISED 10/21/08
REVISED 11/08/2016